Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Banned Books Week: Harry Potter



It should come as no shock that Harry Potter has been challenged in the years following the original publication of the first novels, and even more as subsequent novels were published. Nor should it come as a shock that it is one my favorite reads of all time. And if any of my friends who read this blog haven't read Harry Potter, then maybe we need to rethink our friendship.

Most of my friends know that one of the worst things they can do is get me started on Harry Potter, because I love it So. Damn. Much. There is just so much about these novels that is amazing. I really can't get started because I'll never stop. One thing that never ceases to amaze me is how complete a world J.K. Rowling created; the world she created and the detail she's considered about things that never even appear in the novel. If you don't believe me, check out the Harry Potter Lexicon.

In the years that the novels were challenged, the largest voice has come from Christian parents who feel that the books promote occultism and paganism. The concerns aren't unfounded. Harry Potter exists in a world where wizards can do things that, in Christianity, only God and Jesus can. However, as I said with Call of Wild, the responsibility of educating children about the relationship between fiction and real-life is the responsibility of the parents and care-givers.

I will always love Harry Potter. I don't even know how many times I've read through the entire series or watched all the movies. And yes, sometimes I troll fan sites because I just need HP fix. So if you haven't read the series, please, for love of Merlin, do. They're nothing short of epic.

No comments:

Post a Comment