Monday, August 6, 2012

Yes, I'm a twenty-something woman who has never ridden a public bus.

Changes have finally happened upon me. For the last year, you've listened to me talk about "when I go back to grad school . . . ." Well, here I am. This past weekend my husband and family helped me move to my new town. Got me settled in my new apartment. Today the hubby and I darted around campus, taking care of paper work and other such necessities.

So far things are going okay, but I haven't really started anything yet. It's different living in an apartment complex. I never have before. It feels a bit like staying in a hotel long term. Every now and then, I can hear the neighbor down the hall closing her door. Or the neighbors below me or in the hall way talking. It's nothing too disturbing, and truthfully, if I could get used to living with the constant, too-near train whistles while in my second college town, I can get used to people closing doors a little too hard to talking a little too loudly. In general, I like the apartment. Lots of space--almost too much--but it's nice to not feel cramped on top of my possessions.

As for the town, I'm still getting to know it, but I have successfully navigated myself to my place of work, the grocery store, Walmart, and several eateries. I'm sure I'll be fine. The next step is mastering the bus system. Never used public buses before, so that will likely be one of the coolest things I learn. I'm pretty excited about, really. The buses run every where here. They can take me from home to work, class, the store, dinner, anywhere! (For my ice cream friends, they can even take me to Cold Stone! SCORE!) Once I get them figured out, I'm sure I'll be just buzzing around like a little bee. The husband has promised to ride with me a couple times this week to get me comfortable with proper bus procedures.

I'm still a little nervous/anxious about starting classes and work. I haven't purchased my textbooks yet, so I can't comment on whether or not I'm going to feel completely overwhelmed by the course work, but I have started on the the reading list for my job--yes, there is a reading list for my job. And guess what? It's 26 articles! 26! And some of them are 30-50 pages each. You'd think I was a graduate student in a very prestigious program or something. Sheeesh.

That's all my updates for now. As things start happening next week, I'll try to post regularly about my adventures. After all, this is the largest University I've ever attended, the first time really living as a stand-alone adult, and a new chapter in my twenties. Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment